Our “Weird Soups Night” last week produced some delicious results. This vegan stew was a true success!
West African Groundnut Stew
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ chopped cabbage
- 3 cubed sweet potatoes (1-inch cubes)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled gingerroot, fresh
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, fresh
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups broken green beans
- 1 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- Hot water
- Sauté the onions in the oil until soft.
- Stir in the cayenne and garlic and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Add the cabbage, sweet potatoes, and green beans and sauté for a few minutes.
- Mix in the apple juice, tomato paste, ginger, cilantro, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the peanut butter and simmer gently until ready to serve.