Delicious and filling fat-free Mexican food
Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips and Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples – peeled, cored and diced
- 8 ounces raspberries (omitted here)
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (omitted here)
- 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor (we used blackberry)
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- (*corn tortillas make for a great gluten free option; we also used fat-free jalapeno-cilantro flour tortillas for a little kick)
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
Quinoa and Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
Both recipes worked really well with both the plain corn and jalapeno tortillas. They are a great alternative for people looking to avoid high fat foods while keeping flavor.